Knaresborough, set on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, is a historic town. Although part of the Harrogate District it has a character and identity all of its own. The town is a totally self-contained community, centrally situated with easy access to Leeds, York and Bradford. Major road and rail routes are easily accessible.
The population of the town now stands at approximately 16,000 and continues to grow. New developments over the past few years have seen to the building of a by-pass which has removed much of the heavy lorry traffic using a very busy High Street. An increase in the availability of small factory units and some new housing has been very important to the area. Knaresborough itself depends very heavily on the tourist industry for its income and wealth. The town is served by one large Comprehensive school, King James's, and a number of Primary schools. All the activities of the town – individual and corporate, social and commercial – are focussed on the town centre where the Church is ideally situated.
There has been Christian nonconformist worship on the site of the church for over 300 years. A new Church was built 1864 to accommodate a growing congregation and that is the present building, which has been considerably improved and refurbished through a three-phase plan over the past fifteen years, making it suitable for varied styles of worship.
We are a congregation of the United Reformed Church, which was formed in 1972 by the union of the Congregation Union and the Presbyterian Church. The ministry and functions of the church are the responsibility of the Minister and the Elders.
Knaresborough is well-known to be a warm and friendly place where all newcomers are welcomed and soon become part of the community.
Knaresborough - www.knaresborough.co.uk
Knaresborough Post (local newspaper) - www.knaresboroughpost.co.uk
Prayers for the town at the Market Square on Good Friday